Sunday, January 15, 2012

Feet and Food

So 2 things have occupied most of my week:  continuing to figure out how to be a vegan successfully and get my foot fixed. 
So first the nutrition:  Weight check in:  144.8 this am--about 2.5 lbs down from my Jan 1 weight.  I'm not doing this for the weight--but I do need to get back to race weight after the fall off-season. 
How do I feel?   Well, great.  I think my body was detoxing this week--I won't give you TMI, but my buddy Jim would be proud of me.  I am not having any issues with being hungry  (actually half the time at dinner I get full and have to stop before my plate is clean), have lots of energy.  I did a food journal for most of the week just to get a handle on what I was taking in.  None of my days this week have been particularly hard/long workouts--1-2 hrs each day.  I've been taking in 1800-2200 calories at a mix of about 60% carb, 25% fat, 15% protein--that seems reasonable.
I've been doing a lot of reading since I want to make sure I'm doing this right--and I also need some new recipies.  I'm currently reading Thrive:  The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life.  Looks to have some good concepts to make sure I'm getting everything I need as an athlete--and a bunch of good looking recipies--now all I need is to accumulate the needed ingredients.
I must say that I am not having sugar cravings--and that is good.  I have even been able to cut out adding sugar to my tea and on my oatmeal in the mornings.

And now for subject #2--my foot.  Just before Christmas I had a run that netted a sore foot--didnt think much of it--as it just looked and felt like I had tied my shoes to tight and it was irritated from the long run.  Well, it has hung on--going away for the holiday didn't help since I wasn't able to get into the doctor to get it looked at until after we got back.  It's not severe pain--but not what you want to be running a marathon on (remember Surf City Marathon Feb 5th).  A foot issue at the peak of your marathon training is not optimal.  So trip to doctor #1 on Monday netted the outer metatarsal and cuboid bone were all jammed up and not moving--so he adjusted them, told me to ice 2x/day and do a test run on Wed and come back on Thursday since it was likely that there was more jammed up.  Well Wednesday test run--the outer portion of my foot would now bend removing the pain from that area of the foot and I was able to run a little more normal.  Return visit to doc on thursday--ankle not moving right and the more central metatarsals and cuniform bones are still bound up.  Well quite a few adjustments later he is pretty sure he has it.--same instructions, keep icing and do a test run.  Now there is no pain when I am walking.  But when I did my test run yesterday there is still pain in the center of the foot.  I am not sure if it just needs a few more days for the inflamation to go down or there is still something going on down there--I will be calling back to the doctor on Monday.  Meanwhile--today was supposed to be my last 20 mile run.  Well that isnt happening.  I am going to turn it into a 2hr ride followed by 1 hr of pool running.  Hopefully that hour will not bring up any urges to commit suicide.  I am still hopeful that I will get this thing taken care of in time for the marathon--but I know that I will have to adjust my goals given the amount of running I have missed over the last few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Sue, you already have a VERY solid base for your marathon. From someone who has experience with injuries and aqua running please trust me. You can do the rest of your training in the pool and STILL run your marathon time goal on race day. I promise. There have Olympians that have done it. AND if you need an aqua partner this week or next I will join you. I know how mind numbing it is.

    ReplyDelete