Monday, January 9, 2012

What's this Vegan thing about anyway?

So part of the reason I'm blogging is I want to document what my experience is trying this vegan experiment.  So first of all--why did I decide to go Vegan?

Well--it started a couple of weeks before Christmas when I got an email from a friend of mine Bob, who has been fighting cancer since 2000.  According to the doctors he should have been dead a long time ago.  Bob isn't the sort to just listen to the doctors and go home and die quietly--he had been looking into and trying everything out there.  Well, over time he has really been cleaning up his diet--and eventually has ended up as a vegan (should I mention again that with regular cancer treatments he was supposed to be dead a few years ago).  Well in his latest update to his huge group of friends he recommended that we all read the book:  The China Study.  Well I did.  I actually left for Christmas break with 2 diet books--the Paleo Diet and the China Study.  Read them both--and well, I guess you can tell which one I am going to listen to.

So--January 2nd I quit eating anything from an animal.  The goal of the diet is to minimize animal products--so I will not be a way over the top Vegan--if I get somewhere and I happen to get something with some animal product in it--not a big deal--but you wont be seeing me eating a steak any time soon. 


Everybody is worried about whether I will be able to train like I do on this type of diet--well, I guess we will see.  I have found a website  www.organicathlete.org for vegan athletes so hopefully that will help me out as my training really gets underway for this season.  This week I am keeping a meal log--to see what I am really eating and what the nutrient balance is--I'll post the results next week.  So far I just keep eating what seems like everything in sight and am not hungry at all.

6 comments:

  1. I am really looking forward to your journey! Check out Brendan Brazier too, he's a vegan triathlete and authored the Thrive series: http://www.brendanbrazier.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cindy---I will definitely need some help getting some good recipies together and making sure I'm getting what my body needs--stuff from other athletes is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO excited YOU are doing a blog!!

    Yes deff check out Brendan Brasier site and food company. Also, be careful because women need lots of iron and protein in endurance sports oh and you may want to pick up some Organic Food Bar bars they are vegan, yummy and filled with protein and very all natural. It's a good company. XOXO Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's the link to Organic Food bars ~ they may sell them at whole foods http://www.organicfoodbar.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, while I'm not a true vegan (i eat fish and an occasional egg, eat honey but avoid other sugar) I have found a good vegan protein powder supplement if you need that to help make up for a deficit. Not here to advertise for them so let me know if you want that info. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey guys--thanks for all the tips. I kind of just started this without much prep--so a bunch of these things I need to figure out I'm doing on the fly--so all the info is great.
    Skip--I'd say that what I am doing is minimizing animal products--which means if I get the occasional bit of something I won't get to upset--but its much easier just to tell everyone that you're vegan.

    ReplyDelete